Do I have enough social security credit if I have been in and out of jail?

Chickasha, OK |

I am 39 male and have PTSD. I am being treated for it both in and out of prison. I want to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance and Social Security Insurance, but I don't know how my time in prison will affect it. I worked when I was in prison. I have been in and out prison since 98. The times I was out of prison, I worked

1. The Social Security Administration can answer your question best. The Service Representative at the window of your nearest district office (you may have to take a number and wait in line) can print out an earnings summary from their computerized record. For disability "insured status" you must have earned 40 "covered quarters" and 20 of them must have been earned in the 40 calendar quarters immediately preceding the onset of your disability.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. I agree with Ms. Sinclair. Contact your local office and they can see if you work qualifies you.

"Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

3. You can alos get this information online. Go to SSA.gov and click on the tab for my Social Security (or click this link: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ ). Follow the directions to create an online account and get the information you want. If you printit off, most attorbeys will be willing to review it with you to decide if you have enough credits for SSDI. Remember that you do not need any creditsfor SSI, so you should file that claim right away if you think you have a claim - they use the month you file your claim to deide what benefits you are due.

Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Social security topics