Do I have enough grounds to constitute a lawsuit for public defamation of character and slander?

Asked over 1 year ago - Schenectady, NY

I am listed as "Most Wanted" on a local news station's website. I had a petty legal case ("Offering a False Instrument") that was resolved almost a year ago and am absolutely not "wanted" anymore so their information is way out of date and way out of line. It's viewable to the public on their website and they have refused to take it down. A simple Google search result of my name pops it up and is making it difficult to find employment in this area. What steps can/should I take?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Maybe but the statute of limitations is likely one year from the original publication on the website. Is the page current or are you seeing a cached page. Consult a local defemation lawyer asap.

Pro

3

Answered . They probably won't take it down, but you can retain one of those companies like reputation.com which puts up a lot of good information about you, so the story gets pushed down on the Google results.

3. Maurice N Ross

Pro

Answered . Retain legal counsel to write to the TV station to demand that it remove this information from its web-site. If that doesn't work, sue the TV station for defamation. Unfortunately, however, if the web-page was reasonably accurate before your legal case was resolved, the TV station may have no legal obligation to take it down, and your claim for defamation would probably fail.

4. George Costas Andriotis

1

Answered . Contact the local news station and nicely demand to speak with someone about this. If you hire an attorney to contact them it will have more weight.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.