Do I have enough evidence to win a civil suit in this matter?

Ridgeland, MS |

I was side-swiped in a car accident. The at fault driver was 16 years old. Both of her parents agreed to cover the financial expenses of repairs needed for my car at the scene of the accident, therefore an actual accident report was not filed with the police department. In attempt to have the repairs done to my car, both parents decided to default on the agreement and refused to cover the cost of the repairs.

Unless you have an "admission" in writing, no one can assure you that you have enough evidence. Further, it is more than "enough evidence" - it is the credablity of the witnesses, and the organization to be able to bring the matter to trial, if necessary. The first step for you is to tender the matter to your insurance company.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Go to the police station and get an accident report called a counter report. Also, report the accident to your insurance company to resolve. Never try to resolve a car accident with the parties involved, as it rarely ends well. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Based only on the above facts, I would say that you have an up hill battle. Hopefully you have something more than just a statment at the scene. Witnesses, documents...? Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Go file a report. You need to also contact an attorney about any potential medical claims that you may have. I definitely think that the opposing drivers insurance company will fight this matter since there was no immediate accident report

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes