Do i have any rights if i want divorce and im the only one paying for the mortgage and i already moved out ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canada, KY

I already moved out the house almost 4 months ago,, but im the one paying the mortgage,, coz my wife cant afford paying it,, i put the money in our jount account and i pay for some bills too,, the thing is,, im a little bit confused of what she want to do coz, she wanted me to give her $5k a month and she said shes gnna take care of the mortgage, then she'll sign our separation paper

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jeffery Paul Alford

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Yes, you have rights. You should hire an experienced divorce attorney to file a motion to ask the court to apportion the bills on a temporary basis while the case is pending. It sounds like you are giving her little incentive to do anything as long as you are continuing to pay for all of the bills even though you are moved out of the house.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,964 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,964 answers this week

2,921 attorneys answering