Do I have any recourse in an attempted sexual abuse or whatever it would be called after 17 years. Can I do anything?

My brother-in-law tried to make me have sex in my home while my children were outside I had to physically fight him off. He ended up in just his underwear fully aroused and I fought to get away. I did get away and he eventually left. Even though he didn't get it done it has affected me more than I ever knew. He kept coming around and me and the kids would lock the doors close the blinds and sit in the middle of the living room until he would go away. The older kids remember this. Finally he stopped I didn't know why until 2 years ago before my dad died I told him about it and he said he was called by someone that the police were at my house and HE was there also. My dad came over but I didn't know any of this until then. Apparently a neighbor called police because he was in my yar

Muscatine, IA -

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

DUI / DWI Attorney - Madison, WI

You need counseling; perhaps your children do as well.

There are Statutes of Limitations that may apply.

Those require some action within a period of time following a wrong for the courts to address that wrong. I do not know which limits would apply in the state where this happened, which I assume is Iowa.

You should consult a local personal injury lawyer on whether you can still take action. If they believe you can, they may be willing to work on a contingency basis.

Related Advice