Skip to main content

Do I have any recourse for my landlady forcing me to give her the rent by holding me hostage in her car?

Patillas, PR |

normally I pay the rent to her husband because she's financially irresponsible. But after stopping at the bank she refused to take me home or let me out of the car until I handed over the money. I'm disabled so it was relatively easy for her to do this to me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your question raised a number of important issues. I would consult a local attorney as soon as possible.

I assume that you were taken to the bank for the purpose of getting the rent money out of the bank, and then she wouldn't take you home unless you gave her the money. If true, then you have rights that need to be protected. You indicate that you are disabled. Does this mean that you couldn't leave without assistance? How far from the bank do you live?

Please consult counsel as soon as you can.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs.


My colleague is correct. Consult a local attorney as soon as possible.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer