Do I have any recourse for my landlady forcing me to give her the rent by holding me hostage in her car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Patillas, PR

normally I pay the rent to her husband because she's financially irresponsible. But after stopping at the bank she refused to take me home or let me out of the car until I handed over the money. I'm disabled so it was relatively easy for her to do this to me

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Sean Patrick Lewis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your question raised a number of important issues. I would consult a local attorney as soon as possible.

    I assume that you were taken to the bank for the purpose of getting the rent money out of the bank, and then she wouldn't take you home unless you gave her the money. If true, then you have rights that need to be protected. You indicate that you are disabled. Does this mean that you couldn't leave without assistance? How far from the bank do you live?

    Please consult counsel as soon as you can.

    The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney... more
  2. Brandy Ann Peeples


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . My colleague is correct. Consult a local attorney as soon as possible.

    DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,529 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,529 answers this week

3,089 attorneys answering