Do I have any recourse for my landlady forcing me to give her the rent by holding me hostage in her car?

Asked over 1 year ago - Patillas, PR

normally I pay the rent to her husband because she's financially irresponsible. But after stopping at the bank she refused to take me home or let me out of the car until I handed over the money. I'm disabled so it was relatively easy for her to do this to me

1. Sean Patrick Lewis

1

Answered . Your question raised a number of important issues. I would consult a local attorney as soon as possible.

I assume that you were taken to the bank for the purpose of getting the rent money out of the bank, and then she wouldn't take you home unless you gave her the money. If true, then you have rights that need to be protected. You indicate that you are disabled. Does this mean that you couldn't leave without assistance? How far from the bank do you live?

Please consult counsel as soon as you can.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . My colleague is correct. Consult a local attorney as soon as possible.