Do I have any recourse against my ex? We were divorced several years ago when my kids were 5 and 8 years old.

Asked 10 months ago - El Paso, TX

My ex would not let me come to the door when picking up the kids. She also would never let me talk
to her by phone, or letter, or email. She has continued this way for years, even though there was never any abuse or adultery. I cooked supper before she got home and I did my own laundry. I also did all the yard work. I paid child support before being told to by the court.

1. Kathleen Rolston Robbins

2

Answered . It sounds like she let you pick up the kids - but sent them out to the car. She can do that. She does not have to talk to you as long as she is letting you exercise your court ordered visitation.

I recommend that you consult with an attorney regarding this matter.
  2. A J. Williams

Pro

2

Answered . As a parent, you have the ability to do all those things without her input. If she had a problem with any of them, she needed to go to court to prohibit them, and if she prohibited them without going to court, you should address that with the court. Contact between a non-custodial parent and a child is, as a public policy, encouraged by the courts. Only where such contact is not in the best interests of a child do the courts seek to limit it. Sending emails, letters, or calling are all acceptable methods of contacting and connecting with your children. I would encourage you to continue doing those things. Going up to the door is up to you. But keep in mind, these children may not need you to come to the door any longer.

If this behavior is still continuing, and you wish to stop it, contact an attorney and have a motion filed.

3. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . You can return to court and seek an order granting you parenting time or perhaps a change in custody. Consult a local attorney!

4. Myra Chack Fleischer

2

Answered . It depends on the law of your state and what the custody orders that are in place say. If they provide for door to door drop off and pick up then that is what should happen. Also if this is creating a scene in front of the children or casting you in a negative light that is concerning as well. I would recommend consulting with a family law attorney in your area to have your divorce decree to see if there is anything you can do. Good Luck.