Skip to main content

Do I have any legal recourse since I lost my job because a co-worker made a false statement against me?

Brainerd, MN |

I have had problems with this co-worker for quite some time. She has been talked to several times for lying and her attitude. I almost quit several times because of this, but I was told to "just hang in there", that things would get better. I "hung in there" and ended up losing my job and having the police come to my door asking questions.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Your employer can terminate you, even based upon erroneous information. Your claim would really be against the individual if the statement was actually false.

    Herbert Tan, Esq.

    The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

    Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (914) 830-0215

    Member of National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)

  2. If your employer was aware of the problems your coworker was causing at work, then it is worth your while to speak with an employment attorney about seeing if you have any legal recourse against the employer. You may also have legal recourse against the coworker.

    Adam W. Klotz
    612.223.6767 ext. 3

    The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice or the opinions of this attorney or affiliated law firm. Links that may appear on this site are intended solely for your convenience in identifying and accessing other sources of information.