Do I have any legal recourse for a old friend destroying my car and saying he wont pay to have it replaced or fixed?

Denver, CO |

He did already say he would replace the car, but now he is saying he wont.

If he destroyed your car, you can sue him in small claims court if the car was worth less than $7,500 or in county court if the damage was $15,000 or less. If he destroyed it in an accident, you will allege negligence. If they took a sledgehammer to it (hopefully not), then there are other legal theories relating to criminal mischief would be appropriate.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

Great response by Mr. Leroi

If your insurance won't cover it, and it is a small amount, go to small claims court.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great advice by Christian at 1235 am his time. The rest of us on Avvo seriously believe that he never sleeps. He is like Jack Bauer from the show 24. Hopefully, he goes to the bathroom now and then though, because I have never seen Bauer take a potty break.

What you should do may depend on the value of your car.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great advice by David, who seems to get even less sleep than Lassen

File suit against your former friend in the appropriate court..

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

I agree with Lars

You should take your old friend to court to recover damage . Certainly, your strategy will depend upon how the car was destroyed. Seek the advice of a local attorney. Good Luck!

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

I agree