Do I have an oral contract case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elyria, OH

A friend had offered me $225,000 to get a house and a car and whatever I paid back he decided to split into 4 different accounts for my 4 children for college money. He and I went to look at houses and I finally found one so I went to the reality company and put in my offer my friend gave me his debit card so I could start "shopping" for the house. Then he decides to turn around after I am now legally binded into purchusing the house and says no because I won't be his significant other which he has known since day one I wasn't trying to date anyone! I know this is a lot of money but I have it all in txt messages as well... Can I go after him for the money and mental anguish for me and my children for doing this to us?

There is so much to this story it is unbelievable but all in txt messages... If there is anyone that can tell me anything about this will be greatly helpful!

1. Kyle J Bristow

2

Answered . You need to immediately and privately consult with an attorney who practices in the area of civil litigation. Issues that may be litigated include the liability of a partner of a general partnership (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_partnership) and the doctrine of promissory estoppel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estoppel#Promissor...).

You should see an attorney before you do anything else. Do not speak or write about this situation; only share what you know with your attorney. What you say to others can be used against you in court.

Good luck!

2. Jessica Laural Portz Birken

Answered . Obviously there is more to the story than you can type here. You should talk to an attorney in your area who is familiar with the laws in OH. You may have a contract claim, but if your part of the performance (your end of the bargain) was to marry this person and you failed to perform, then you may not want to go down that road. Contact an attorney who practices civil / family / contracts.

Providing this general response does not create an attorney client relationship.