Skip to main content

Do I have an lawsuit on my hands?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Employment

ive been working at starbucks for almost 3yrs. Im an supervisor and im owed back pay and a raise that I was already told I qualify for about 11 months without my two required by company raises.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You certainly can sue for back pay. More information is needed on the raise.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. Usually Wage Issues start off within an Administrative Agency, but you have a claim.

    I represent Employers, but I can recommend Worker Attorneys in So Cal if you ask.

  3. This is NOT a WC question because you were not injured.

    What is the proffered explanation for not receiving monies owed? If need be, it would be far simpler to file a wage claim with the state.

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

  4. Sounds like you have a claim under the New York Labor Law for back wages; penalties may apply as well as recovery of attorneys' fees. Look to the written company policy as to raises.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics