Do I have an age discrimination case?

New Britain, CT |

I was asked..."when did I graduate from college?" That question is forbidden in CT. I was submitted for a job by an agency. Hours later, I received an e-mail from the recruiter stating that the employer had gotten back to her, and they were asking. Before getting to the e-mail, the recruiter called me to get my response. I answered, then never heard from them about my candidacy. After following up repeatedly, I learned that I was not being considered.

That question is not legally forbidden per se. The State and federal discrimination agencies may look long and hard as to whether age discrimination occurred, but the inquiry is not forbidden in itself. There is no stereotyped presumption in the law that everyone graduates at the same age. The information is used to verify schooling and degrees obtained, and also to see whether someone is hiding an employment gap. By the same token, applicants are ordinarily asked to provide a complete work history. Someone with 35 years at a company will most likely be older than someone with a two year work history, but the revelation of age does not make the inquiry illegal.

The above does not constitute legal advice in any specific situation, and is provided for informational and discussion purposes only.

2. Failure to hire cases are very hard to prove. There could be any number of reasons why that employer chose to go in another direction and any number of those reasons could be non-discriminatory.

That being said, if you are sure, and if you have evidence, that you were not hired based on age discrimination, you should seek counsel with a local employment attorney.

Joshua Erlich is an attorney in Arlington, Virginia. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an experienced attorney to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Erlich's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. Threshold issue : are you over 40? Federal age discrimination statutes protect only those over 40. Under 40, age discrimination is not unlawful.

The question is not unlawful, just unwise.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.