Skip to main content

Do I have an actionable malpractice claim against my former psychologist?

Highland Park, IL |
Filed under: Medical malpractice

Approximately a year and a half ago , I saw a psychologist for approximately 10 sessions . I presented her with my desire to find happiness despite my ongoing complex marital problems . She then agreed to see my husband and myself for couples counseling , which lasted for a couple of months . My husband decided to leave his therapist , and we all agreed our now couples counselor could see him on his own , ending my relationship with her . He revealed to me approximately a year after leaving her that he had ended the therapeutic relationship because she told him that she had determined early on in her sessions with me that I had borderline personality disorder . She had never told me such , I now feel betrayed , and ( I am a trained therapist ) it is impossible to diagnose BOD that quickly .

Attorney Answers 4


I dont see a viable claim but you can certainly contact the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation and/or State Psy society to see if she vioalted any ethics rules and a local malpractice attorney for ore specific advice. But be careful about who else you discuss the therapist with because you do not want to be sue for defamation.

Mark as helpful

10 lawyers agree


Based upon the facts presented, it does not appear that you have an actionable malpractice case.

Mark as helpful

11 lawyers agree


While there may have been a breach of ethics and confidentiality, there does not appear to be malpractice.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

10 lawyers agree


A lawsuit would likely be fruitless, but contact a local malpractice lawyer to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics