Do I have a viable case?

I am in a mlm and my sponsor suggested we partner on his position and abandon mine and for a corporation to hold the top position. We went ahead building 3 legs of business with one leg flowing through my old position. I recruited both customers and representatives which were place in the up-line position and in legs that were not under my 'abandoned' position. We went about building and we also formed the legal entity outside of the company including business bank accounts. Two things happened the business exploded over a 4 month period and my 'partner' changed his mind and said sorry no partnership. The up-line and the company are taking a 'sorry not my problem' posture. Do I have a viable case and is there a possibility of winning against a company / up-line. Jeff K

Boston, MA -

Philip W. Mason

Philip W. Mason

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Haverhill, MA

It is very difficult to follow your question because of the business specific jargon you use, your focus on operational functions, and the lack of legal facts.

Did you have a written or an oral contract with your “partner” or with the “up-line?” Did you in anyway memorialize and incorporate the intent of the contract in the formation of the business “entity” — do you have an equity interest in the “entity?” Does the business entity have proprietary control over the products or services your partnership provides?

If you are saying that you had a contractual relationship with your partner to form a joint enterprise — that the formation of the business entity was in furtherance of the enterprise — and now the partner has breached the contract to your detriment — and you have sustained measurable damages — then yes you probably have a viable case.

You should definitely consult with a business entities attorney.

Sponsored Listing
David George Thomas

David George Thomas

Litigation Lawyer - Boston, MA

My colleague asks some very good questions. Be sure to contact a lawyer with experience in partnership issues as well as business litigation. In Massachusetts, there exists a Uniform Partnership Act that very well may govern your situation over and above laws concerning business entities and the rights of majority and minority shareholders. The partnership act is Mass. Gen. Laws Ch 108A. If you are your partner intended to carry on a business, as co-owners, for profit, and your partner wrongfully dissolved that partnership (e.g., ousted you), you may very well have a claim to half the value of the entity at the date of dissolution (the day you were ousted). I have handled partnership litigation in Massachusetts and other jurisdictions for years and would be happy to provide you with a free consultation. The devil is in the details in these cases.

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.