Do I have a valid reason to contest my grandfather's Will, and when and how should it be done?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

My grandfather passed away a few weeks ago. He was 90 years old, diagnosed with dementia, and created a Will (I will refer to as his original Will) about 20 years ago that went unchanged until the last 3 years. The "original" Will had 5 beneficiaries getting an equal share of my grandfather's entire estate. 3 years ago, my uncle was taken completely out of my grandfather's original Will due to a big falling out between the two. 3 or 4 months ago this summer), his Will was then changed 2 or 3 DIFFERENT times (that I know of) within a month, completely removing my brother and my cousin, then adding back my cousin and Uncle. My uncle now is the executor of his Will and stands to inherit almost everything. Do I have a valid reason to contest, and if so, when should I do it?

1. Elizabeth Ann Brenner

Pro

2

Answered . In order for a will to be valid, Texas law requires an individual to have testamentary capacity or be of "sound mind" at the time he executes his will. If your grandfather had dementia at the time he changed his will, there may, at the very least, be questions about his capacity to make a new will. The facts you provide raise a number of other possible concerns as well. It would be to your advantage to consult with an attorney who is experienced in probate litigation.

2. James P. Frederick

3

Answered . You need to have a lawyer look at this, right away. There are some major red flags. It is not clear how the Wills were done and redone, but my strong guess is that this was NOT done through an attorney. Given your grandfather's age and illness, his capacity is certainly in question and he also could have been subject to undue influence. Wills are given deference by the courts, so the burden of proof is against you and it will not be a difficult case, by any means. In order to prevail, you will need the assistance of a very skilled probate litigation attorney. You should seek advice from such a person, as soon as possible.

James Frederick

3. Mitsy Barajas

1

Answered . If your grandfather was diagnosed with dementia then he may not have had the mental ability to re write his will. You should contact an estate planning attorney right away so that you can best explore your options.

4. David M. Pyke

Answered . Yes!!!

Need to act right away.

Call.