Do I have a strong case to be considered an Arizona resident for in-state graduate school purposes? Which of these two ways?

Asked 5 months ago - Phoenix, AZ

I am applying to a graduate school program that is new and for "in-state residents only." I was born in AZ, lived there until about 8 years old, and moved with my parents to the midwest. I always wanted to move back. After graduating college, I worked for a family member in OH from 2010-2011. I was offered a job in AZ and moved to Phoenix in January 2012. I left that job in March 2012. I decided to pursue a new career and moved back in with my parents in the midwest from Mid 2012-present. My parents have had a house in AZ since I was born and there have been renters there usually.
Can I be considered an in-state resident? Born in AZ. House there for last 30 years. Moved there in 2012. Only relocated for financial support for education. Should I file my 2013 taxes in AZ? etc?

1. Michael Thomas Poulton

Pro

2

Answered . You are not an Arizona resident for tuition purposes, because you have not been in continuous residence for the past 12 months. I do not believe there is any way around that.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . When in doubt consult an experienced local attorney. Speculation is not the best approach.

3. Alan Sanders Richard

Answered . I have read your correspondence with Attorney Poulton and have considered the two theories you put forth. I agree with his analysis and conclusion that you do not have a strong case. There is no harm in arguing that case, just don't get your hopes up. You are not likely to be successful in convincing the state that you are a state resident.