Do I have a right to withhold rent due to a smoker in the building that has made me sick?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

I have lived in a small apartment building for nearly two years. One of the tenants is a heavy smoker, every couple weeks or so he smokes cigars. I live on the top floor and all the smoke wafts up to my apartment. I have complained numerous times since moving in. A month ago I got a cold, which turned into bronchitis. The day after one of his cigar binges I developed a secondary infection to my bronchitis and got very sick again. I notified management and have been trying to leave my lease early. I was unable to secure a new place before my lease expires so will have to remain here for the next two months. I requested my final month rent be reduced if smoking occurred again and was refused. Landlord stated he has a right to smoke, however I feel I have a right to live in a healthy space.

1. George Charles Samiotes

4

Answered . If this smoking is adversely affecting your health and well being you may have a right to withhold rent. To withhold rent though you must follow certain precise procedures. I would recommend consulting an attorney as to how to go about withholding rent.