Do I have a right to sue an auto dealer for taking over a year to get me a vehicle I can use.

Greensboro, NC |

I ordered a new truck with a service body last June 2012 from a dealer in NC. They have put the wrong body on it twice and I have put over 600 miles on the truck driving it back and forth for the body. I am now waiting another 8-10 weeks for the right body to come it. Do I have a legal right to charge the dealer or body company for the mileage on the truck or the inconvenience it has caused. I have been making payments on the truck since last Sept. and still don't have a truck I can use. I have had to spend money on the truck I am driving just to have something to use in my business. The dealer is asking me for another $500.00 because the body has increased in price over the past year.

1. You can always sue. What you can win will turn on the provisions of your contractual agreement with the sellor. An attorney would need to reveiew your documents before knowing what you can and can't be successful with.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

2. You can consider filing a complaint with the Attorney General's Office: http://www.ncdoj.gov/complaint.aspx There is a special section and form devoted to Automobile issues; scroll towards the bottom of the page and you will see the section. In cases where consumers’ complaints show a pattern of illegal business practices, the AG's office may take legal action to enforce the law on behalf of the general public.