Skip to main content

Do I have a right to past probation records?

Long Branch, NJ |

I was on probation for 2 years. During that time I had random drug/alcohol tests in my home and at the probation office. I passed all of them. Drug court was not in place or ever involved. I am now trying to fight for visitation of my son and would like a letter showing my test results to include in my court motion. It has been 3 months and my former probation officer keeps putting off sending me the letter saying " I will next week", "oh... I thought I sent it to you.", "yeah...sure no problem". I need this information to help my case. What do I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can certainly get a letter that indicates a successful completion of probation, although I have never seen one that indicates past drug test results unless it was to support a VOP. Ask for it in writing, addressed to the vicinage probation supervisor. Send it by regular and certified mail. Do not make it a complaining letter or try to show that the probation officer has put you off. Make it a NICE request, and cc the probation officer. Explain why you need it and point out the benefit you got from being on probation and how you want to accept responsibility for, and be involved with, your son.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer