Do I have a right to have my fix it ticket reduced to a correctable fine?

Asked 11 months ago - San Bernardino, CA

I received a ticket for a violation of VC-26101, tinted brake lights. The ticket is correctable because the lights can be swapped out and the tint can be taken off. The officer marked it as a non-correctable violation. When I tried to have it signed off because I took off the tint at the local station the lieutenant told me he could not sign it off because the officer checked the non-correctable box. I wrote a letter to the court asking them to modify my ticket to a correctable violation and to dismiss a violation of VC-24004 written on the same ticket because VC-24004 states that I can't operate a vehicle after being told by a police officer it is not in compliance, unless I need to drive said vehicle back home to bring the car withon compliance....(see additional info below please)

the court wrote me a letter back denying my request for a modification and denying my request to dismiss violation 24004 VC. I really don't want to pay a $450-$500 fine for something that I can correct for a $25 fee. My friend received a ticket in violation of 26101 last month, but his lights were completely blacked out and his violation was a correctable violation. My tint is a slight grayish tint and mine is not correctable. PS: We both have the same make and model car.

1. Karine Basmadjian

Answered . It is almost always in your interest to contact a reliable traffic defense attorney, who can get a resolution on the case so as not to affect your record or your budget.

2. Linda A Iannelli

Pro

Answered . We offer a free consultation. The court has discretion to accept your proof of correction for the dismissal fee.
    If you have corrected the alleged violation by taking the tint off the brake lights then the car is in compliance and you can drive it. Just becaus the officer could not sign off the ticket that is a different issue.
    If you cannot afford a lawyer, set a court date, drive the car to court and bring in pictures of the tail lights taken up close during the day so they can see that the tint is removed, make sure the license plate of the car is in the picutres Also take pictures at night. Explain to the court the situation you have removed the tint, show pictures. Tell the judge the car is here and you would like permission to have the Sherrif sign it off. Hopefully the court will agree and send you to the sheriff to sign it off and then back to the courtroom to bring back the signed off ticket. If this is your second or more offense for the same thing my comments above to not apply. Good Luck