Do i have a right to fired my lawyer if she didn't show up at the motion of hearing and the pre trail

Dallas, TX |

my lawyer call me 40 mins before the pretrail stating she's in san antino and that she sending her assistant which i never met. She say there was no testimony so she does not have to show up, i pay her 1000 and now i have a bench trial, will it cost me more if i hired another lawyer for my bench trial for the divorce and can i fired her and get my money back, she had me sign a contract but it doesn't stated she wont be there to represent me

1. First part of the question: You always have a right to fire your lawyer.
    Second part: Is it justified or prudent because another lawyer in the law firm represented you at the pretrial conference, and it will cost you more overall to hire another lawyer?.

While I can understand why you're upset, if the pretrial conference was of the usual nature, that is the judge asking whether there could be a settlement, whether the parties are going to trial, is all discovery done and so forth, usually another attorney can handle that sort of thing competently after reviewing the file and speaking to the principal attorney.

So, bottom line, before firing my attorney and finding other counsel, I'd speak to my attorney first - ask for a meeting and say you don't want to be represented by another attorney at the bench trial, and if the lawyer can't commit to that, I would find another attorney.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. Jack has given you a good answer. You always have the right to fire your lawyer and hire another. However, is that the best option at this point? You should speak to other local attorneys immediately to find out what they would charge and what they can do for your case.

Can you get your money back? That depends on what your contract states.

Robert Guest is a Kaufman County Criminal Defense Lawyer with offices is Forney, Texas, Irving, Texas and Kaufman, Texas. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. My use of Avvo is not intended to form an attonrey-client relationship. Avvo is a limited forum and should never be used as a replacement for a consultation with a local lawyer. My answers are not legal advice. You really need a consultation with a local attorney. Do that before making any important decisions.

3. It looks like you've already received two (2) excellent answers. Best of luck to you.

4. My guess is that the contract you signed when you hired your lawyer says that the money you have paid her, whether as a retainer or a fee, is non-refundable. If so, your $1,000 is gone no matter what.

I strongly suggest that you have a face-to-face conference with your lawyer, express your concerns and get your questions answered. Changing lawyers in mid-stream is a fairly radical step and almost always more expensive than sticking with one lawyer from start to finish. I suggest that before taking that radical step, you make a determined effort to work things out with your current lawyer.