Do i have a right to discovery process for city court in ga?

Dawson, GA |

a yr. ago i recieved a speeding ticket by way off radar and requested and was denied copies of the certification papers that the state requires before units can be put in use or officers allowed to give tickets off them. i can not defend myself in court if i am denied acccess to documents i need. i pled no lo and was told my fine was my bond i posted. it has been stuck in my craw ever since.

You have an absolute right to file discovery, and the State must comply, on a speeding ticket. A speeding ticket in Georgia is a misdemeanor which means discovery is applicable.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

You may beyond the time limit to challenge the ticket, you are entitled to Discovery from the State by the filing of the appropriate pleadings.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights