Do I have a right to dictate who can be around my children when they are visiting with their father?

Asked over 4 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I have a 16 year old and a 14 year old daughter with my 35 year old ex-husband. We have been divorced for about 4 years now. He recently has been dating a 21 year old and she keeps "showing up" when he has visitation with my daughters. They are not married and she does not live with him. I believe it to be an inappropriate relationship and conduct for my ex to have this person around my children when he is supposed to be spending time with them.

1. Melanie Ann Brubaker

1

2

Answered . Each of you have the right to date and marry whomever you want but as you are saying, you have two young and impressionable teenagers. One would think that your ex would value the time he spends with the children and not bring along his date. Have you spoken to your ex about the quality of time he is spending with the children? Are the children uncomfortable around the girlfriend? Perhaps you and your ex could sit down and talk about "new relationships" and the impact on the children. Have you done any reading about introducing your children to a parent's new relationship? If so, you could give a copy to your ex. I guess the main focus is what the children are feeling about the 21 year old girlfriend and sharing this with your ex. Thank-you, Melanie Brubaker