Do I have a product liability/warranty case?

Kearny, NJ |

I have a 2007 Chevy HHR with a known defect of the power steering being defective. Gm has placed this exact steering column in a total of 3 vehicles from the year 2007, 2 of which had recalls for this exact reason. The 2007 Chevy Cobalt and Chevy Aveo have been recalled due to the power steering and steering column, proving to be defective. Due to not being cost effective, GM is refusing to replace the entire steering column and cover repairs as a result of a motor vehicle accident. I was presented with an offer to over the diagnostic fee (which proved this was defective) and to cover the cost to have the power steering motor replaced, not the column or damages. Do I have a course of action here, or is this truly a "Good Will" gesture, as the Claims Administrator referred to this as?

You may be on to something, maybe even a class action?

Best to contact a consumer protection atty in your state.

Find someone competent here:

Short answer: If you car is no longer covered by the warranty, then this seems to be a "good will" gesture.

However, Mr. Kaufman raises an good point, too. If this steering mechanism is identical to the others that have been recalled, as you have claimed, then there may be more that can be done here. It will require an experienced attorney to research the issue, to see if there is a viable claim (on an individual basis, or a class action basis).

Consult with an attorney in your state.

I am an attorney who is only licensed in the State of Florida. My answer is general legal advice based upon what I perceive your question to be, and should not be relied upon because every person's facts and circumstances are unique, and because specific laws vary from state to state. To completely evaluate a legal issue requires reviewing and evaluating all relevant facts, applicable laws and other information. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and offered for informational purposes only.

Scott Richard Kaufman

Scott Richard Kaufman

Do also keep in mind that a product liability case requires some physical injury to the plaintiff...

I agree with my colleagues. My office is in Newark and my partner and I would be interested in meeting with you during a free consultation to discuss possible recourses. We're pretty certain that we can get you the satisfaction you deserve. Please contact us if you are interested. Best of luck either way.

The answer rendered here in no way constitutes the creation of an attorney-client relationship between the question asker and the attorney answering the question. In order for such a relationship to be created, we will have meetings together and will sign a retainer document.

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law