Do I have a personal injury case?

Asked about 1 year ago - Des Plaines, IL

During a rafting trip at Shot Gun Eddy's on the Wolf River in Wisconsin, I jumped off of a cliff into the water. The water was too shallow and I hit the bottom. As a result I broke my tibia and dislocated my ankle. I needed to get surgery, have been in a cast for 6 weeks, and now need physical therapy.

1. Chen Kasher

12

Answered . You need to ask this question in WI, where you would bring suit. That said, under IL law, they may have had a duty to warn you of the shallow depths if they had reason to believe people cliff dived there.

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

12

Answered . Tough case depending on how airtight their waiver form is.

It occurred I'm Wisconsin, so contact a Wisconsin attorney.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

3. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

12

Answered . I am very familiar with the place where you were injured.

1. You signed a waiver before Shotgun Eddy would accept payment; AND
    2. There is a sign that warns against "jumping or diving off cliff."

You did a really foolish thing. People do jump off that cliff all the time, without incident. If you are off a few inches, you hit a granite shelf (which you did). Nobody was negligent except you. It is NOT possible for you to recover.

4. Mark Dean

Pro

11

Answered . Probably not. Get to a WI personal injury atty. asap.

5. Judy A. Goldstein

10

Answered . You chose to jump. Who do you think is responsible for your injuries? Please get the medical attention you need but you do not have a valid case against Shot Gun Eddy's.

6. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

10

Answered . You should consult with an experienced WI personal injury lawyer and give this attorney all the facts concerning your situation. Also, be sure to locate and send any written waivers or releases you may have signed for the rafting company.

7. Andrew Lawrence Weitz

Pro

7

Answered . While we were successful in New York in holding the city 100% liable for two brothers diving off the Coney Island steeplechase pier and being rendered quadriplegic, there were "No Diving" signs that had been removed from the site and the city had notice of the missing signs. A WI attorney would have to opine on the duty to warn, as well as notice. The assumption of risk is the primary and most successful defense to diving accidents in New York. Again, a WI attorney would have to opine on an assumption of risk defense.

One or more answers have been taken down.