Do I have a malpractice case here?

I recently had to have emergency surgery for a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. I was in and out of the ER (3x before it ruptured, i was in the ER 1 day before it ruptured) with all the symptoms for an ectopic pregnancy and every time they performed the ultrasound they never checked further in my fallopian tubes. It turned out that I had a severe loss of blood and ended up having to have emergency surgery and unfortunately lost my right tube. The ER kept telling me (i have all the diagnoses papers) that I was still pregnant with twins, and probably was miscarrying and the other one was still developing ( my hcg levels had risen very much).

Vacaville, CA -

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

The medical records need to be obtained by a medical malpractice lawyer in your city so the lawyer can get a medical expert to review. Contact a medical malpractice lawyer for a free consultation to discuss.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.

Yes, you should definitely obtain the medical records and contact a local medical malpractice attorney to obtain a consulting physician's review.

Jordan Margolis
Chicago

Robert Daniel Kelly

Robert Daniel Kelly

Personal Injury Lawyer - Seattle, WA

You should probably retain an attorney to help you evaluate your potential claim in detail. Medical malpractice cases are very difficult and most of them fail. Successfully suing a doctor requires finding another doctor to testify that the first doctor didn't perform in accordance with the applicable standards of care. Doctors are almost always reluctant to do that. You need a lawyer who knows how to obtain the required expert witness testimony from a doctor.

Sandra S. Neuman

Sandra S. Neuman

Medical Malpractice Attorney - Warrendale, PA

You likely have a claim and should speak to an experienced medical malpractice lawyer in your area. With ectopic pregnancies, the goal is obviously to avoid a rupture. The fact that you went to the ER three times strengthens liability. However, as in all medical malpractice cases, you must have significant damages to proceed to filing a lawsuit. The loss of one tube is unfortunate but the defense would say you still have the ability to conceive. The hurdle you may have in your case is not liability or causation, but damages. Good luck.

Related Advice