Do I have a libel/slander case if a pediatrician who's exGF of my BF emailed my family and friends that I have a mental illness?

Palo Alto, CA |

The exGF of my BF is a pediatrician. She emailed my family, his friends and my friends claiming that she has observed that I have a mental illness. The email also contains other false accusations and specifically states that she has made these observations personally when I went to her house of holiday parties or her wedding. There are witnesses who who can state that I was completely normal, all smiles and your typical guest, socializing and enjoying the party. She also tried to call my family and friends. She did it to ambush me when my BF and I went to see a relationship therapist. Fortunately the therapist confirmed I had no mental illness and having read the email, agreed that it was inappropriate for her to make such a diagnosis. It has caused me emotional duress for 15 months

The exGF happens to be bipolar herself. She used her medical degree to support this slander. The emails were forwarded to me by my friends and family. I also belong to a club in the community and I know that several others have suddenly distanced themselves; people who should not know about these details and it rumors are not circulating about this beyond the people who received the emails. It is uncomfortable for me.

1. first, you should just ignore her. she is the ex and obviously unhappy. you have the relationship and should spend your time and money being happy. litigation, whether successful or not, is very expensive, stressful and ultimately could be detrimental to your happiness.
    you probably do not have a viable case anyway. that doesn't mean that there isn't some lawyer who will gladly take your money to sue her but in the end you will end up with a stack of legal bills piled on the emotional carnage that such litigation would cause. good luck, be healthy and happy!

2. Defamation lawyers typically want a $5,000.00 retainer just to begin work, and cases frequently cost about $30,000.00. If a person has sustained a significant monetary loss, it could be a situation where the recovery exceeds the high costs. Contact a local lawyer in your state to discuss.

3. 5 peculiar facts. She has a right to talk about her opinions but not a right to lie about your mental condition. I believe that this technically qualifies as slander and intentional infliction of emotional distress while in writing qualifies as libel and by her spoken words slander. You might want to report her to the Medical Board and consider filing a lawsuit and obtaining a Restraining Order against any such future conduct. If nothing else this may shut her up for awhile.

__________________

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.