Skip to main content

Do I have a libel and defamation lawsuit?

Denver, CO |

The news reported Incorrectly about an arrest. I was giving one of my workers a ride home. We were at a traffic stop for what i thought running a stop sign my worker jumped out of the car and shot at police. The guy only worked for me for 4 days. I didn't even know he had a gun. The news reported i was involved and a party to a high speed chase, shoot out, burglary etc........ This false reporting caused me to lose almost $1m, my wife and children, my ability to earn money, eventually my business, my reputation and myself esteem.

Now here I sit in a drug rehab because I tried to take my life because I lost the will to live and someone found me and revived me.

My life is ruined this should have been the year I would have made $1m but instead I lost everything. Ryan 719.286.0311

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Sorry, but it doesn't appear you have a case.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at


No, probably do not have enough for a successful lawsuit. You would have to show that the reports about you were maliciously false and that those statements were the proximate cause of your self-destruction. It is unlikely that you can prove that either is the case - much less both.

By way of example, you note that you lost your wife and children as a result of the news reports. However, it will be difficult to establish that a news report was the primary cause of your marital discord. If your wife believed the incorrect news reports instead of your explanations, it is an indication that your marriage was troubled before this incident.

You can always sue anyone for anything at any time, but in order to win such a case you will have to demonstrate that the news reports were more than mistaken - but that the reports were knowingly false. Unless you can show that the reporters had some sort of vendetta against you, you probably don't have much of a case.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Ask the paper to print a retraction/correction based on the correct facts.


Very unlikely that you can prove any causation between any false statement by anyone and you winding up in drug rehab. There is too much intervening choice and action by you in that thread of conduct.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer