Do I have a libel and defamation lawsuit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Denver, CO

The news reported Incorrectly about an arrest. I was giving one of my workers a ride home. We were at a traffic stop for what i thought running a stop sign my worker jumped out of the car and shot at police. The guy only worked for me for 4 days. I didn't even know he had a gun. The news reported i was involved and a party to a high speed chase, shoot out, burglary etc........ This false reporting caused me to lose almost $1m, my wife and children, my ability to earn money, eventually my business, my reputation and myself esteem.

Now here I sit in a drug rehab because I tried to take my life because I lost the will to live and someone found me and revived me.

My life is ruined this should have been the year I would have made $1m but instead I lost everything. Ryan 719.286.0311

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

6

Answered . No, probably do not have enough for a successful lawsuit. You would have to show that the reports about you were maliciously false and that those statements were the proximate cause of your self-destruction. It is unlikely that you can prove that either is the case - much less both.

By way of example, you note that you lost your wife and children as a result of the news reports. However, it will be difficult to establish that a news report was the primary cause of your marital discord. If your wife believed the incorrect news reports instead of your explanations, it is an indication that your marriage was troubled before this incident.

You can always sue anyone for anything at any time, but in order to win such a case you will have to demonstrate that the news reports were more than mistaken - but that the reports were knowingly false. Unless you can show that the reporters had some sort of vendetta against you, you probably don't have much of a case.

2. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

4

Answered . Sorry, but it doesn't appear you have a case.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

2

Answered . Ask the paper to print a retraction/correction based on the correct facts.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . Very unlikely that you can prove any causation between any false statement by anyone and you winding up in drug rehab. There is too much intervening choice and action by you in that thread of conduct.