Do I have a legal right to ask a former employer for termination papers if I was fired without an explanation? do they have too?

Tallahassee, FL |

when I was let go I was just told that my personality did not fit and that things had been said, when I asked what had been said I was told they were not at liberty to say. I had never been spoken to about any problems and i had only been there for two weeks. I was then asked for my keys, when I emailed and politely asked for written documentation as to why I was terminated I was ignored. do they have to comply with my request in the state of Florida. and can I sue if no rules were broken and nothing from code of conduct was violated I was basically told that they didn't like my personality, and no customer complaints.

Florida is an at will state so you can be let go with no reason given unless it was really for an unlawful reason, but they do not have to tell you why they let you go unless you were to file a suit and do discovery against them.

This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship, nor does it constitute specific legal advice.

Nothing stated in your summary of facts supports a claim or inference of wrongful termination. Employers are not required to give a warning or counseling before termination, and employers can terminate even without any evidence or belief of a work rule violation by the employee. In a few states the employee has a limited right to a statement of reasons for termination, but Florida law does not so provide. Your best option is to move on to more suitable employment.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes