Do I have a legal case if a company fills out an application for Medicaid on my behalf even though it was never consented to?

Bloomington, IN |

There was a Medicaid application sent in from a company that I had used to get on the Healthy Indiana Plan. The Medicaid application was recently dated saying I am pregnant and due Nov 2014, however I am not pregnant. I believe the application was sent over to get past medical bills paid. I had gone to the hospital in Dec 2013 due to a miscarriage and had no medical at the time. The company that sent the Medicaid application is a partner with the hospital and I have a voicemail from the company saying that if I go on Medicaid that Medicaid will pay my past due bills. I am not pregnant so cant be on Medicaid and never once told them it was ok for them to submit any application for Medicaid. Now because of this I have no medical.

1. If you have suffered a loss because of a fraudulent application-then you should consult with a litigation attorney to discuss your damages.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

2. I think that's terrible! It is not at all unusual for health care providers to assist in "filling out" Medicaid applications, but making up medical conditions to get $$$ out of the government is as wrong as it can possibly be... It's hard to see how you have suffered money damages, but this is fraud, the sort of corrosive evil bad rotten terrible fraud that drives up costs and threatens coverage for everyone... Report 'em!

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first.

3. If you think that fraud has been committed, your state will have a Medicaid Fraud Unit to which such reports can be made.

Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

Wills and estates topics