Do I have a lawsuit for being beat up outside a bar on the street by the bouncer?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I was in a bar drinking and was intoxicated and was leaving with my friend. As we were leaving the owner and bouncer said it was time for us to leave while we were walking outside. My other friend was standing on the sidewalk smoking a cigarette when I walked outside. I was outside the bar on the sidewalk waiting for my other friend to pay the bill. The bouncer told me to get out of here and I said that this was a public sidewalk and I'm waiting for my friend. It got heated and I threw a punch towards him and pulled back. He took me down and one of his friends grabbed my arms so I couldn't defend myself. The owner came out and the bouncer stopped hitting me and then he freaked out and punched me 4 more times breaking my nose while I was being held not able to defend myself. Lawsuit?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. William Peter Daley

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The owner and bouncer are only entitled to use whatever force is reasonable under the circumstances. From what you describe it sounds like they went overboard in their use of force. I recommend you do NOT make any more posts or statements about what happened that night on the Internet because those statements could be used against you in a civil lawsuit against the bar and the bouncers. You should consult with one of us local San Diego AVVO personal injury attorneys who can assist you with this. Also if you have any black and blue marks or bruising right now be certain to take photographs of that to preserve the evidence because soon those marks will disappear and that evidence will be lost.

    I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California... more
  2. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a civil law question for tort liability. You should consult with a personal injury attorney immediately. If there was a police report you can try and get it but go talk to an attorney.

  3. Michael Kevin Cernyar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I placed this is a more appropriate category. Good luck.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice... more
  4. David Philip Shapiro


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not a criminal law question unless you or the bouncer got pinched for your mutually asinine conduct.

    Contact a locally experienced civil attorney.

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  5. Pajman Jassim


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You should contact a local San Diego attorney to discuss your potential case in greater detail. We handle these cases in San Diego, and offer free consultations.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between Jassim & Associates or any of its attorneys.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,239 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,239 answers this week

3,040 attorneys answering