Do I have a discrimination case against my employer?

Asked 9 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

I am a male and the #3 person in my department. The #1 person works Mon-Fri and the #2 works Sat-Sun. Right now, the #2 person is gone. Instead of moving me up, my female boss has put a female from a different department into that job. This person has 1/10 of my experience and has no business doing that job when I am a capable replacement. The replacement is also held to a much lower standard than the 3 males who work in this department full-time (myself included). I have documented this lower standard and brought it to her attention, but so far nothing has changed. This female boss has also given a number of mid-level manager jobs to females...so much so that they outnumber male managers close to 2 to 1.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . These facts do not by themselves support a claim for actionable discrimination.

Employees often believe -- wrongly -- that employers are obligated by law to hire, promote, and otherwise prefer or choose the "best" "qualified" employee or candidate. That is not the case, except in public entity employment. The law does not require that your employer select the best qualified for the promotion or assignment, and the law does not specify how to measure "best" or even "qualified" if that was the employer's intention. Experience, education and training are interesting but not legally mandated as measures of "best" or even "qualified." Your employer can choose the employee who is most versatile, or the one who needs to be more versatile; the candidate who has the best personality, or the best attitude, or the most potential, or one who is the least and worst in all of those categories. In truth, under the law your employer can choose an employee who is a friend, a relative, or the employer can choose an employee name out of a hat. So long as the selection is not based on a prohibited classification such as race or sex, the employer can make any choice. And proof of choice based on prohibited classification is not established merely by choosing a candidate who the employees do not see as the best or most of any characteristic.

Neither is it usually feasible to prove discrimination by counting the raw numbers of manager assignments by gender. Unless your employer fields a very very large workforce, statistical evidence to prove discrimination in employer actions is very difficult to obtain and validate so that it constitutes admissible evidence. Inmost cases of mid-sized employers, this method of factual development by expert statistical analyses is simply too expensive to pursue.

2. Tricia Dwyer

Answered . Such issues generally hinge upon the full facts. You may hire an attorney to discuss the full facts and then she/he will provide you with reasoned legal advice and counsel. We avvo attorneys are available. Tricia Dwyer, Esq.

3. Joseph Albin Larson

Pro

Answered . I agree with Attorney McCall's assessment. That being said, if you feel like the reason you have not been promoted is strictly because of your gender, you should contact an attorney and discuss the full set of circumstances with him/her. Once an attorney hears the fully story, he/she will be able to provide you with a more definitive answer regarding your potential claims. Most attorneys will do a free consultation.

Best,
    Joe Larson