Do I have a criminal record?

San Diego, CA |

about 3 weeks ago i was caught shoplifting at walmart. they said id receive a civil demand in the mail asking me to pay(i recieved nothing yet) but they took my information and said id be in store records. does that also mean MY records?

Criminal record means arrest or conviction after trial or plea. If no arrest, should be no state criminal record.

Civil demand letter has been referred to as a "legitimate rip-off hoax". You going to fall for it?

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

thank you and as for the "hoax" ive read claims on all kinds of forum websites and many people claim theyre being sued and now owe 10,000$ instead of the original fine of say 400$

If they haven't reported this to the police then the only record you have is with the store- not an actual criminal record with law enforcement.

The answers to these questions are intended for informational purposes. The attorney-client privilege does not attach and will not attach unless a written contact is entered into with Ms. Daly's firm. CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: If the above relates to a tax matter then, pursuant to Treasury Department Rules, we must advise you of the following: The advice contained in this communication was not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service. Under the applicable Rules, a taxpayer may rely on our advice to avoid penalties only if the advice is reflected in a more formal tax opinion that conforms to IRS standards

If you weren't arrested, you don't have anything to worry. If the police showed up and gave you a citation, this constitutes an arrest. Also, if you weren't arrested, I suggest you do not pay anything. Civil demands have no legal force. The letter will probably threaten to sue you and/or report you to the authorities, but that's BS. I have never seen that happen. Good luck.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

My colleagues are correct. A civil demand letter written by a law firm or company creates no independent obligation to pay. If you receive a notice from a court, including but not limited to a civil lawsuit, you should respond and probably consult a lawyer.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

that's a little contradicting. i'm not obligated but they CAN take me to court?

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

The store has until the expiration of the statute of limitations to file a civil lawsuit. The percentage chance of this happenning is very, very low. However, lawyers, in their analysis, try not to overlook possibilities even if very, very low.

Negative.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

Unless the incident is reported to the police department, then no you will not have a criminal record. You will get a civil extortion letter. I use these as toilet paper on a regular basis. They can be useful for cat litter box liners, paper airplanes, and a variety of other activities. Payment? Hell no.

Law Offices of Craig Renetzky
www.notgoingtojail.com

A civil demand letter does not constitute the filing of criminal charges. However, if you were either arrested by the police, or cited for a crime, then that would show up on a criminal background check. I would advise you to keep an eye on your mail as the notice that criminal charges have been filed are sometimes mailed to you.

Shoplifting topics