Do I have a claim for a breach of oral contract or something?

Orlando, FL |

I have a friend who is a programer and he told me in writing and on recorded voice audio that he intended to give me a program for me to sell comercialy but another companey just bought it from him in the licence, however they have not as of yet signed final contract. Do I have a claim? They sign on monday morning at 9 am,unless he renegociates.

No you don't. An intention to act cannot be the basis for a lawsuit unless you relied on it to your detriment. Further, an intention to make a gift does not form the basis of a binding contract.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

I haven't seen your "writing" but I suspect that it doesn't contain essential contract terms, but is merely a statement of his (unfulfilled) intention(s). You both should have visited a lawyer and reduced your agreement to a proper writing with all of the essential ingredients (including consideration). All you really have is what a judge I knew once used to call "happy talk." Sorry!

I often take cases other attorneys won't, so call me for a free consultation. My number is 727-712-3333, or you can view my website at

The requirements of a valid contract need to be met. Here, it seems that your friend intended to give you something but we do not have a valid offer or even acceptance.

Camilo A. Espinosa
3101 Indian Creek Drive, Suite 207
Miami Beach, FL 33140

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes