Do I have a claim for a breach of oral contract or something?

Orlando, FL |

I have a friend who is a programer and he told me in writing and on recorded voice audio that he intended to give me a program for me to sell comercialy but another companey just bought it from him in the licence, however they have not as of yet signed final contract. Do I have a claim? They sign on monday morning at 9 am,unless he renegociates.

1. No you don't. An intention to act cannot be the basis for a lawsuit unless you relied on it to your detriment. Further, an intention to make a gift does not form the basis of a binding contract.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

2. I haven't seen your "writing" but I suspect that it doesn't contain essential contract terms, but is merely a statement of his (unfulfilled) intention(s). You both should have visited a lawyer and reduced your agreement to a proper writing with all of the essential ingredients (including consideration). All you really have is what a judge I knew once used to call "happy talk." Sorry!

I often take cases other attorneys won't, so call me for a free consultation. My number is 727-712-3333, or you can view my website at www.TampaConsumerLawyer.com

3. The requirements of a valid contract need to be met. Here, it seems that your friend intended to give you something but we do not have a valid offer or even acceptance.

Camilo A. Espinosa
    3101 Indian Creek Drive, Suite 207
    Miami Beach, FL 33140
    305-390-0450
    camilo.espinosa@loigica.com

This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as