Do I have a chance to get citizenship through naturalization?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

My boyfriend wants to apply for citizenship trough the naturalization, but he was arrested for theft a year ago. Now he get it out from his record, but is it possible for him to get citezenship?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Irene Vaisman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have him get a disposition and schedule an appointment with an experienced immigration attorney. Also, there is no such thing as "get it out of record" for immigration purposes, unless it's vacated.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. Elliot M.S. Yi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. You should consult with an immigration attorney before applying. Good luck.

    The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201; elliot@... more
  3. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . He needs to have an experienced lawyer examine his criminal record thoroughly. He may be subject to removal if it is for certain crimes and would have to analyze if he is eligible to vacate the conviction before he can consider doing anything about adjusting his status for citizenship.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.
    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more
  4. Win Chester Eaton

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A theft conviction is considered a "Crime Involving Moral Turpitude or CIMT." Any conviction of a CIMT within five years of filing the N-400 will likely disqualify the applicant because of Good Moral Character concerns. Please be advised that if the CIMT conviction occurred within five years of approval of the greencard you could be subject to removal proceedings. A second CIMT conviction sometime int he future could also subject you to removal proceedings. If it is possible to "Vacate" the CIMT conviction (not expungement) then you could argue the conviction has no immigration consequence. This is difficult to do. Particularly in Oregon because Oregon has a 2 year limit in most circumstances on "post conviction relief." Before filing for citizenship I would suggest you consult with both an experienced immigration and criminal attorneys.

  5. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . His application will likely be denied because he cannot establish good moral character during the past 5 years. Even if his record is sealed, he still has to answer truthfully the question on the application which asks if he has ever been arrested or convicted.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship requirements

In order to become a US citizen, applicants most show good citizenship and demonstrate that they have an attachment to the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,029 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,029 answers this week

3,075 attorneys answering