Skip to main content

Do I have a chance of keeping my job?

Milwaukee, WI |

I have been working at a place for just about 3 years. I am a grill cook and am always given a workload that would be well suited to split between 2 employees but am never given help and the job is very stressful. I have a medical condition and sometimes am just not able to make it in at 6am. I have gotten a doctors excuse for almost every time I have been late. My employer recently put me on a suspension until I can get on fmla. But now human resources are taking actions that are making this process seem like it will be impossible or very difficult. What is too much information to give for fmla as far as hippa goes and what would insufficient information be? My first letter they told me did not have enough info and my next they said again, not enough. Are they violating hippa laws?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The Department of Labor has a standard for that most employers use to have an employee get his doctor to certify the need for FMLA. You can get a copy of that form at If you think your employer is asking for too much and interferring with your right to take FMLA, it may be worth getting a consultation with an attorney in your area. If your employer has already suspended you for any absence that should be covered under the FMLA, it may have already violated your rights. Wisconsin law and Federal law have significant protections and remedies for violations. Wisconsin law requires a complaint with the Equal Rights Division within 30 days. Federal FMLA claim must be filed in a court of competent jurisdiction within 2 years generally or within 3 if the violation is willful. Don't delay in filing a complaint if you think your rights were violated. I have included a link to our website for additional information on FMLA rights under Federal and Wisconsin law.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer