Do I have a cause of action against Amtrak for an 8 hour delay?

Grand Blanc, MI |

Our train had a wheel issue and was stranded for 2.5 hours. We then limped back to Chicago, stopping about a mile outside of the station. They said we would be uncoupling the bad car and heading on our way. 2 hours later they said the crew's time was up and they would be leaving us stranded there. another hour later a new new crew came out and we eventually ended up back in Chicago, almost 8 hours after we originally left. The crew consistently lied to us about the progress of fixing the train and what we could expect going forward. At one point they turned off the AC and lights and told us to stay in our seats, that everything would be turned back on momentarily...yet it took almost two hours. Can Amtrak really treat its customers like this and get away with it?

1. Sorry, not in my view.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

2. Yes they can, but usually they will do something for their customers.

3. Not really no, sadly.

4. What are your provable damages?

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

5. Unfortunately, I think that they can. I have not researched this issue for trains, but I have for Airplanes and there are actual laws in place that limit your recovery to the price of your ticket for international flights if you go through this big claims process through the airline and the airline refuses to bump you onto a flight, etc., bottom line is that you are probably SOL, unless you can personally get AMTRAK to do the right thing. Take a look at your ticket or other papers given at time of purchase. More likely than not, there is some language somewhere that talks about delays, mechanical failures and no liability.

Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

6. Complain to the company, and perhaps you can get a free voucher

7. If you do, and I would certainly think they might be immune from a suit on these grounds, the real question is what is that worth in dollars? I would certainly guess that attorneys wouldn't be interested in a case with very difficult to calculate damages. Maybe others disagree?

My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will result in an attorney/client relationship. Please do not rely on brief answers without checking with an attorney in a confidential consultation.