Do I have a case of Retaliation/wrongful termination for reporting Reverse Discrimination, hostile work environment?

Asked over 5 years ago - Dallas, TX

I was fired on 1/7/09 at 8:00AM after meeting with the Chairman of the Board /owner of an 80 employee company, to report drug use, reverse discrimination, hostile work environment for myself and several other employees.This "secret meeting" was after work on 1/6/09 at a coffee shop. The company is family owned and family members are board members and head up the HR dept. I was reporting the discrimination by Board Members on down to co-workers. I didn't file written complaint with HR because of family relationship. I did verbally complain for months to Manager and HR liasion. I am jewish, caucasian, 62 years, female. I understand whites don't qualify under civil rights protection.

The company was in negotiations for the last year to bring in a big investor/buyer and 3 weeks after I was fired one half of the company was sold. If I have a case are they still liable? I really believe they fired me to shut me up so I wouldn't jeopardize the sale.

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

1

4

Answered . That's only because whites are assumed to be adequately protected while historically other groups were not. As religion is a protected class you might rely on your Jewishness, but I think your strongest case is that you got fired for being a "whistleblower." That's a no-no. Get a good employment lawyer in TX to lend a hand.

2. Okorie Okorocha

1

4

Answered . Sounds like retaliation for reporting discrimination. You should speak to a local employment attorney.

My standard disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice or services, assume all of my advice is completely incorrect, assume I do not know the law in your state and assume that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.