Skip to main content

Do I have a case of defamation of character?

Vicksburg, MI |

Friend left my house and was pulled over down the street. he was arrested for poss . of meth . the officer said he seen him leave my house and said he knows I'm cooking meth . he wanted him to turn me in .does he have the right to spread rumorsabout me like that. he used my name and said he knows I'm doing that at my house.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The simple answer is probably not. In order to sue for defamation, you would have to prove damages. How were you damaged?


Your post is not clear. It sounds as if the Officer either made the statement to your friend who was arrested for possession of meth coming out of your house, but not to other members of the public at all. Under the circumstances, and given that officers are permitted to try and turn one criminal to snitch on another suspect. I think you should be more worried about what your friend will do.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer