Do I have a case if my Chiropractor broke my ribs?

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I am in my 60s and have been going to a chiropractor, I noticed discomfort after my adjustment. I did not like this Doctor
So a week later I went to another chiropractor for a few times then decided to tell him about the prior Doctor's adjustment and my discomfort when I roll over,

I will be getting an x-ray soon. If I do have a broken rib would I have a case against the first doctor?

1. Raymond Scott Costantino

Pro

7

Answered . You were correct to tell your subsequent chiropractor about the initial chiropractor. However, before diving into a potential civil claim you should see what the x-rays show. You will also need to know if the second chiropractor has the opinion that the cause of any injury is related to the prior chiropractic manipulation. If so then you should seek an experienced attorney who will advise you on the likelihood of prevailing and whether you stand to recover more than it will cost to pursue such a claim. Good luck to you.

Pro

5

Answered . Confirm that you do have broken ribs, and if so, search Avvo for a medical malpractice lawyer in your city, and call to discuss.

Click on name or picture to see profile page.
  3. James H Sutton Jr.

4

Answered . I agree completely with the prior answer. Confirm you have a broken rib and get the second chiropractor's opinion as to the cause now (as well as the doctor that confirms the rib is broken). If these answer check out, then talk to a medical malpractice attorney in your area.

I hope this helps!

4. Clifford Michael Farrell

3

Answered . Medical Negligence claims are notoriously difficult to prove. Assuming that the ribs are broken, you will likely spend thousands of dollars in court costs for hiring an expert and having an expert testify. And, even if you win, what are your damages? Yes, if your ribs are broken that is something, but unless you have lots of justifiable out of pocket or actual costs, not just pain and suffering, I suspect most attorneys would not be intersted in pursuing a claim.

if the ribs are broken, you are better off filing a complaint with the appropriate licensing authority in Georgia and with the appropriate Georgia chiropractic asociation.

5. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Call an attorney tomorrow. Good luck.