Do I have a case if I was denied a city job because I was wrongfully terminated of my previous job of theft?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

I was falsely accused of theft from a previous employer which I was arrested but as I always knew not only was my case dismissed because I didn't do anything wrong, I also won a civil judgment against the city for false arrest and malicious prosecution. Can they hold this against me because of the maliciousness of what a previous employer did to me ?

1. Eric Sanders

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . No, it should have no bearing on a hiring decision.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

1

Answered . Repost in employment law

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

3. Stephen Charles Cooper

Pro

2

Answered . This is not a criminal law question, but understand that a dismissal, or even a finding of not guilty, is not the same thing as a finding of innocence. OJ was found not guilty but liable in the civil case. It would be my guess that you were denied a city job because you sued the city, not because of your being accused of theft. Speak to a labor lawyer or the lawyer who handled your suit against the city.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . How do you know the reason you were denied?