Do I have a case for defamation via libel?

Asked about 1 year ago - Clifton, NJ

I worked for a company which put the burden of almost all facets of the job on me, alone, (from settling, servicing and banking to filing and trash disposal!) I had developed relationships with the clients over the previous 3 yrs and had a very strong rapport and was highly regarded by almost all of our clients. Finally I had enough so I resigned and was hired by another agency. NOTE: I never signed an NDA or any type of non compete clause.

When I left, many clients made the decision to leave as well and join my new agency. Shortly after my old employer discovered they were losing clients they wrote a letter of libel accusing me of stealing etc and mailed it to each client that cancelled!

Do I have a case and if so what do I do if I lack the funds to hire an employment attorney?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Fred S Shahrooz-Scampato

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In order to make an initial assessment as to whether you have a claim for defamation and whether your former employer has any defenses to such a claim, you will need to consult with an attorney who is experienced in defamation law. If an attorney finds that you do have grounds to bring a claim, then the attorney will present you with your available options which may include writing a letter to your former employer, letters to each of your clients and/or filing a lawsuit for defamation. Based on your facts, it would be recommended that you consult with such an attorney as soon as possible.

    The answers by Fred Shahrooz Scampato, Esquire, of the Law Office of Fred Shahrooz Scampato, LLC, provided in the... more
  2. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Take the letter to a local defamation lawyer to investigate

  3. Raymond Andrew Grimes


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . These are fact specific cases. If the letter deals with your profession, you could have a claim of Slander Per Se. Too much to explain on a post.

  4. Christopher Gary Todd

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleague that you should see an attorney. Defamation cases are very fact specific and, assuming there is a case, damages must be carefully reviewed to determine the economics of initiating an expensive suit.

    Good luck.

    The answer(s) herein do not constitute the establishment of an attorney/client relationship, nor are they intended... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,937 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,937 answers this week

2,946 attorneys answering