Do I have a case for defamation via libel?

Clifton, NJ |

I worked for a company which put the burden of almost all facets of the job on me, alone, (from settling, servicing and banking to filing and trash disposal!) I had developed relationships with the clients over the previous 3 yrs and had a very strong rapport and was highly regarded by almost all of our clients. Finally I had enough so I resigned and was hired by another agency. NOTE: I never signed an NDA or any type of non compete clause. When I left, many clients made the decision to leave as well and join my new agency. Shortly after my old employer discovered they were losing clients they wrote a letter of libel accusing me of stealing etc and mailed it to each client that cancelled! Do I have a case and if so what do I do if I lack the funds to hire an employment attorney?

1. In order to make an initial assessment as to whether you have a claim for defamation and whether your former employer has any defenses to such a claim, you will need to consult with an attorney who is experienced in defamation law. If an attorney finds that you do have grounds to bring a claim, then the attorney will present you with your available options which may include writing a letter to your former employer, letters to each of your clients and/or filing a lawsuit for defamation. Based on your facts, it would be recommended that you consult with such an attorney as soon as possible.

The answers by Fred Shahrooz Scampato, Esquire, of the Law Office of Fred Shahrooz Scampato, LLC, provided in the Avvo website are for general information purposes only. The materials are current only as of the indicated date and must not be regarded as legal advice, solicitation or advertisement. The information provided on this site does not, nor is it intended to, constitute legal advice and is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship, nor are they intended as a substitute for obtaining specific legal advice from qualified legal counsel. Transmission of information from this site is not intended to create, and receipt shall not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Any prior results that are described on our site do not guarantee a similar outcome. Online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional advice regarding the particular facts and circumstances of each matter.

2. I agree with my colleague that you should see an attorney. Defamation cases are very fact specific and, assuming there is a case, damages must be carefully reviewed to determine the economics of initiating an expensive suit.

The answer(s) herein do not constitute the establishment of an attorney/client relationship, nor are they intended to constitute the practice of law in any State. The answer(s) are based on extremely limited information provided by the submitter and are for general information purposes only. The original submitter, and those viewing these answer(s) are highly encouraged to seek out and engage legal counsel in their jurisdiction to review the entire matter.

3. These are fact specific cases. If the letter deals with your profession, you could have a claim of Slander Per Se. Too much to explain on a post.