Do I have a case and need to find a lawyer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

My husband was making our son a snack in the kitchen of our apartment and the largest cabinet with all of our dishes fell on his arm and chest. The cabinet had been replaced about a year ago and it was not drilled in to the studs. He went to the emergency room and had "crush damage". He is still having pain and has a follow up with his doctor tomorrow. Also we live in military housing and the cabinets were replaced by a contractor.

Also it has been almost 4 weeks.

1. Ilya Demetrios Frangos

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your son's injuries. You would definitely benefit from contacting a personal injury attorney in your area to discuss this case. You may also want to contact a local JAG officer if your husband is serving in the military to learn more about who owns the property and who performed the work. Regardless, an experienced personal injury attorney will be able to advise you as to how to proceed based on the particulars of your case. Most personal injury attorneys offer Free Consultations so it is always worth talking to one. There are plenty of attorneys that you can research on Avvo in your area or you can contact an attorney that I have worked with before from San Diego, Darin Wright (858) 678-8888.

I wish you the best of luck and recommend you seek out a personal injury attorney right away.

---------
    Ilya D. Frangos, Esq.
    Law Offices of Galine, Frye, & Fitting
    411 Borel Ave., Suite 500
    San Mateo, Ca 94402
    Phone: 650-345-8484
    www.dongaline.com

2. David Aaron Wiesen

Pro

3

1

Answered . You should seek a consultation with an attorney. This sounds like a viable case.

3. Mahyar Ghassemian

1

Answered . It sounds like the Contractor was negligent, but you need to have someone familiar with standard of care of the construction industry to help you with this. Contractors have general liability insurance policies that would cover these types of injuries up to a certain limit. You definitely need to contact a personal injury attorney. I practice both personal injury and construction law and can help you as I am familiar with contractor negligence issues. I practice in Mission Viejo, about 20 minutes from Camp Pendleton and have cases in San Diego.

Please call my office for more information 949-436-2785.

4. Thomas Patrick Quinn Jr

1

Answered . If the cabinets were not drilled into the studs, then the contractor who installed them likely has fallen below the standard of care, ie. is negligent, and you would have a viable case against the contractor for his injuries. You should be concerned that the same problem may exist as to other cabinets if they were replaced. I would put the owner of the apartment on notice of the issue so that it can be addressed immediately. A personal injury attorney, preferably with construction experience can help you. We do both, but you may want to look for someone in San Diego County.

5. Thomas J. West

Pro

2

1

Answered . I would seek a personally injury attorney. This sounds like you likely have a case. Additionally, you should look into whether your homeowners or renter's policy or the military covers any of the injury that was sustained.