Skip to main content

Do I have a case against this wedding planner?

Baltimore, MD |

My husband and I took a cruise to Eastern Caribbean stopping in St. Thomas, getting off the boat to get married by a Minister in the island of St. Johns. When we got there, it was raining. The day before we emailed our planner and asked for plan B as we were aware Tropical Storm Andrea was in the area. She emailed us back saying we could get married in the Church in St. Thomas or the pavillion on one of the beaches. Next day we called her as soon as we got to St. Thomas and she said she was trying to get a hold of the MInister to see if we could use the church. We called her 30 minutes later to see if she had any luck and she told us she was working on it and told us to give her some time. We were late, she wanted to charge us 300 dollars for the delay and we ended up canceling the ceremon

Attorney Answers 3


It seems unreasonable that you would be charged for a delay. However, to figure out whether you have a case you would have to look at any contract you had with the planner. If she was supposed to have a plan b under the contract and failed to make those plans, then you may have a cause of action if she failed to uphold her end of the bargain. An attorney could review any paperwork or contracts you may have with the planner and be able to better advise you on a cause of action. - This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree




If you or any lawyer out there is willing to provide free initial consultation, please let me know. Thank you

Bennett James Wills

Bennett James Wills


We do offer free consultations. If you would like to call the office at 410-528-9200 to schedule an appointment, we would be happy to meet with you.


Whether you have a breach of contract action against this planner will be directly based on what the contract says. Unless, in the contract, the planner was obligated to provide a Plan B on short notice, the you probably would not have a claim. But, as stated, it depends.

Mr. Schenk may be reached at (678) 823-7678 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with The Schenk Law Firm, then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Schenk nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Schenk that is confidential, please go to or call (678) 823-7678 for a free initial consultation.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


My colleagues are correct, but I'll add something else. Where is the wedding planner? It could make all the difference in the world if the wedding planner was operating from St. Thomas. If so, you'd likely have to bring an action there. If not, then look to your contract to see what remedies may be available.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics