Do I have a case against DoubleTree/Hilton Hotels for ignoring/retaliating against my sexual harassment complaint?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jefferson City, MO

I am 16 years old, and have been working at the local Double tree Hotel by Hilton for approx. six months. During the last 4/5 mos. my supervisor has been constantly bothering me. He calls me "babe", "baby", "sexy", "darling", "pretty", things of this nature. He brushes up against me whenever he gets a chance to, and at one point touched my behind. He has asked me on a few different occasions if I was a lesbian after asking me whether or not I have a boyfriend and what not. He has had to my knowledge 3 prior sexual harassment complaints, one of which is filed with the state. All of the employees which complained were eventually fired and the complaints got swept under the rug. I have gone to the owner of the hotel and made a formal complaint. He changed my shifts and nothing has been done.

1. Noah Keith Garcia

1

1

Answered . That sounds pretty outrageous, considering your tender age. You should discuss the potential merits of your case with an attorney specializing in employment law to obtain counsel on the best course of action.

I would be happy to make a recommendation if you wish to obtain counsel. Because you're under 18, your parents may have to bring the suit on your behalf -- so discuss this with them.

2. Cole David Bradbury

1

Answered . You should absolutely consult an attorney about this problem. Missouri's Human Rights Act makes this kind of conduct illegal, and as the attorneys above said, it's criminal too. Changing your hours is also wrong and is not a solution to the problem. So is firing employees who have complained. Consult an attorney immediately because Missouri law allows claims to be brought for only 180 days after they happen.

3. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

1

1

Answered . This is outrageous and is criminal as well as a civil matter. Since he touched you, there is an assault, in addition to sexual harassment civil claim. Find an attorney (Avvo website good place to start looking) and visit with an attorney who specializes in sexual harassment cases. You can discuss these matters in detail and get legal advice as what would be your best course of action. An attorney can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Most attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. There are no hourly fees and most attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case. Good luck. Do not delay- go see an attorney!