Do i have a case against another business/owner because they told people Iam selling drugs and having a affair

Chariton, IA |

have been accused of owing a debt for false charges at a local business, they have harassed me showing up at slaon in front of customers, telling my customers that I owe money and am gonna be taken to court for not paying bills, they told my husband i am cheating, they have told numerous customers i sell marijuana out of my business, i have lost customers income marriage is now being questioned, I saw a attorney he said i have a decent slander/violation of fair credit act what do you think

1. In CA, being false accused of a crime (like selling drugs) and infidelity is "slander per se" meaning you don't have to prove special damages because those damages are presumed. It may be the same in IA. So if you've suffered damages and the slanderer has money, I agree this sounds like a meritorious case. The debt collection violation is worth very little, so I'm not sure I'd bother with that.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

2. Accusing you of a crime is slander per se and it seems you may have a case. Pursue the matter with the attorney you have already spoken to or find another soon. You may only have one year from the first time they started to talk about you.

3. You have an excellent 'slander per se' case. This was not merely gossip. This was deliberate behavior that embarassed you and caused you monetary damages and emotional distress. I concur with your attorney that you have a very good slander case. I also agree that the fair credit act violation is 'small potatoes' compared to the tort case. Best of Luck on this case.