Do I have a case? How do I go about filing the suit?

Asked 12 months ago - Sarasota, FL

My ex boyfriend owes me 7,500 dollars. This is because of rent that was supposed to be split between us. I am 19 and I ended up supporting him (food, bills, etc.) I even paid his rent at his apartment when we moved out. I have records of checks that I wrote, but like I said I paid all of the rent when it was a verbal agreement that we were to split it. Before he moved out, I had drawn up my own version of a promissory note. It's dated and signed that he owes me that money and he will have it paid back by May 1st, 2013. I have not seen a dollar. It is not notarized but I do have videos and audios of us talking about him owing me the money, as well as e-mails messages and text messages. He moved out of Florida to Virginia. We lived together both in Virginia and Florida.

1. Galen J Criscione

1

Answered . I would consult an attorney. Most offer free consultations. An attorney will want to look at the promissory note. Based on what you have said you may be successful in winning a suit against him, but collecting the money once you have a judgment could prove more difficult.

2. James M. Osak

Answered . More than likely you would have proof of his debt.
    But you're in FL. They have some strange laws down there.
    Consult a FL attorney asap. Is boyfriend collectable? Does
    he have a job? Property? Bank account? Good luck.