Do I have a case? How do I go about filing the suit?

Sarasota, FL |

My ex boyfriend owes me 7,500 dollars. This is because of rent that was supposed to be split between us. I am 19 and I ended up supporting him (food, bills, etc.) I even paid his rent at his apartment when we moved out. I have records of checks that I wrote, but like I said I paid all of the rent when it was a verbal agreement that we were to split it. Before he moved out, I had drawn up my own version of a promissory note. It's dated and signed that he owes me that money and he will have it paid back by May 1st, 2013. I have not seen a dollar. It is not notarized but I do have videos and audios of us talking about him owing me the money, as well as e-mails messages and text messages. He moved out of Florida to Virginia. We lived together both in Virginia and Florida.

1. I would consult an attorney. Most offer free consultations. An attorney will want to look at the promissory note. Based on what you have said you may be successful in winning a suit against him, but collecting the money once you have a judgment could prove more difficult.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.

2. More than likely you would have proof of his debt.
    But you're in FL. They have some strange laws down there.
    Consult a FL attorney asap. Is boyfriend collectable? Does
    he have a job? Property? Bank account? Good luck.

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.