Do I have a case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I was wrongfully accused of corporate espionage because they accused me of downloading a file which I didn't even install on the computer. They suspended me from work, threatened to fire, and even threatened to call the police. There are no firewalls or network restrictions to block access or downloads on the computer. Because I logged onto the company's payroll site, they said it was sufficient evidence of my accused computer usage and espionage (there was a 10 minute time frame from when I logged on and when the accused download occurred). I did not steal anything or any information but they are accusing me of doing so. Other employees download mp3s, use facebook, and browse the web but no action was taken against them.

1. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

2

Answered . Downloading MP3s, using FB, and browsing the web are not the same as logging into the company payroll site during the same 10 minute time frame during which an unauthorized file was downloaded to the exact same computer you were using. By your own account of the facts, it seems as if you may be needing a criminal defense lawyer. I sure hope not, and I think it's good news that they didn't fire you. They're probably just angry and are trying to scare you. But I suggest you consult a Seattle employment attorney to plan a course of action that will do you the most good. Good luck.

Pro

2

Answered . A case for what? It was an unfortunate situation, but as jobs are precious in this economy, I would be thankful that you weren't fired.