Skip to main content

DO i have 60 days grace period?my EAD expired on april 1,2013 but i applied for STEM extention in march 2013.

Harrison, NJ |

my application for stem ead extention was denied 9 days ago and my ead expired in april, and as my case was with uscis, so do i get 60 days grace period from the day of denial to go back to a college or change my status?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am not too sure about this. Best to ask your school's DSO in these student matters, for they are the ones who know best, simply because they encounter such situations day in and day out.. We don't.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Your grace period starts upon expiration of your F1 status and ends in 60 days regardless of the quality and quantity of applications you file with USCIS, unless one of those is approved and changes the equation. If you are not sure when your F1 status ended, talk to your DSO.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Talk to your DSO, it appears that your grace period expired in June.

They may be able to help you reinstate.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer